So many visitors to the Beenleigh Artisan Distillery have been captivated by the story of The Flood Rum. Perhaps it’s because they remember all too well the effect that Tropical Cyclone Debbie had on not just Brisbane, but most of QLD. Perhaps it’s because it’s a story like no other.
On March the 30th 2017, Debbie unleased her fury on Brisbane. Many homes were damaged; many had to flee. Brisbane effectively shut down.
Beenleigh Artisan Distillery, located on the banks of the Albert River, is of course, no stranger to the effects of catastrophic floods. 1887 and 1974 were the “big ones” which the Distillery, resplendent with resilient spirit, withheld. But there were many more in between.
On the 31st of March 2017, the flood waters broke through and flooded the Distillery. Thus The Flood Rum was born.
Our Distillers had just put down a Rum ferment- usually a 48 to 72 hour process, before distillation and then maturation. But the water rose so quickly that our pumps no longer worked, and the ferment was effectively stuck in our tanks for a 6 month period before they could be repaired.
Once the Distillery was fully operational again, our very experienced distillers led by Master Distiller Wayne Stewart, ran this ferment through our Copper Pot Still. Our first release was bottled by hand at 46% alc/vol, with no additives and non-chill filtered. A rum so unique was created, it’s unlikely to be ever seen again.
Join our Rum Club below for exclusive access to the pre-release launch of Flood Rum on Saturday 27th March 2021.
The Beenleigh Artisan Distillers Rum Club is for discerning adults who are keen to appreciate all things rum. From the colourful history to limited edition releases and exclusive tastings, this is your opportunity to be the first in line.
Your membership includes:
- Access to member promotions and competitions
- First to be offered new release Rums
- Exclusive access to select allocations of Limited Releases
- Exclusive invites to Distillery events and tours
- Subscription to our e-newsletter
Terms and Conditions:
- You confirm that you are over 18 years of age.
- Members may cancel their membership at any time by clicking unsubscribe on one of our emails.
- Terms & Conditions are subject to change. Any updates will be set out on this website and notification will be sent to existing Rum Club members. Your continued participation in Rum Club will be deemed acceptance of the variations.
Your personal details will be collected and stored in line with our Privacy Statement